2021 Call for MIPS Promoting Interoperability Measures and Improvement Activities Now Open
Reminder: The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) encourages you to submit Promoting Interoperability measures and Improvement Activities for consideration for future years of the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS). The MIPS Annual Call for Measures and Activities process allows clinicians, professional associations and medical societies that represent clinicians, researchers, consumer groups, and others to identify and submit measures and activities. Currently, we are accepting submissions for:
- Measures for the Promoting Interoperability performance category
- Activities for the Improvement Activities performance category
What They’re Looking For:
For Promoting Interoperability: CMS is looking for specific measures that build on the advanced use of certified EHR technology (CEHRT) using 2015 Edition Certification Standards and Criteria; promote interoperability and health information exchange; improve program efficiency, effectiveness, and flexibility; provide patients access to their health information; reduce clinician burden; and align with MIPS Improvement Activities and Quality performance categories.
For Improvement Activities: CMS is looking for activities that can be considered higher than the standard of care. This means that the sets of practices or activities being proposed for consideration exceed defined, commonly accepted guidelines for level of quality or attainment in clinical care or quality improvement guidelines. CMS will not accept duplicative concepts to existing or retired activities.
How to Submit Measures and Activities:
If you’re interested in proposing new measures and activities for MIPS, review the 2021 Call for Measures and Activities Overview Fact Sheet in this toolkit (zip) and fill out and submit the forms from the toolkit for the following performance categories during the specified submission periods:
- Promoting Interoperability Performance Category (Submission Period: February 1 – July 1, 2021 for 2023 measures)
- Improvement Activities Performance Category (Submission Period: February 1 – July 1, 2021 for 2023 activities)
May Telligen QPP Connect Live Call
As part of the Performers of Excellence Award program, we are hosting a new call-in series called Telligen QPP Connect Live! Each month we highlight a topic with a few slides to kick off the call/start the conversation and then you can ask questions (on the topic or anything else you would like). These calls will happen the 3rd Wednesday of every month from 12:00 – 1:00 Central. The call on May 19th will focus on the Cost category with guest speaker, Leah Nash from IMPAQ. Please use the following information to join via computer or phone.
|Join Zoom Meeting|
|Phone one-tap:||US: +13462487799,,95908897340# or +16699006833,,95908897340#|
|Meeting ID:||959 0889 7340|
|Join by Telephone|
|For higher quality, dial a number based on your current location.|
US: +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 929 205 6099 or +1 301 715 8592
|Meeting ID:||959 0889 7340|
On May 6th CMS will host a webinar providing an overview of the quality and cost performance category requirements for the 2021 performance year of the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS). MIPS eligible clinicians, groups, and virtual groups planning to participate in the 4 performance categories of traditional MIPS for the 2021 performance year should plan to attend for information on quality and cost participation.
You can register here
Please follow the link above to listen to a recording of our April Connect Live call. On this webinar, we provide an overview of the Promoting Interoperability and Improvement Activity categories as well as answer some audience questions.
New Optional Promoting Interoperability Measure
For performance year 2021 there is a new health information exchange measure that can be reported in lieu of the send and receiving health information measures. This new measure is the Health Information Bi-Directional Exchange Measure. To report this measure, you will attest yes to three statements about your connection with a health information exchange.
- I participate in an HIE in order to enable secure, bi-directional exchange to occur for every patient encounter, transition, or referral, and record stored or maintained in the EHR during the performance period in accordance with applicable law and policy
- The HIE that I participate in is capable of exchanging information across a broad network of unaffiliated exchange partners including those using disparate EHRs and does not engage in exclusionary behavior when determining exchange partners.
- I use the functions of CEHRT to support bidirectional exchange with an HIE.
You can hear more about this new measure and all measures for the Promoting Interoperability category by listening to a recording of our April Connect Live Call.
New Resources in the QPP Resource Library
The following resources were updated or added in April
- 2021 MIPS Cost User Guide
- 2021 MIPS Quality User Guide
- 2021 MIPS Eligibility and Participation User Guide
- 2021 MIPS Improvement Activities User Guide
- 2021 MIPS Promoting Interoperability User Guide
- 2021 Medicare Promoting Interoperability Program versus MIPS Promoting Interoperability Performance Category
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Family Medicine Clinicians
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Gastroenterologists
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Dermatologists
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Anesthesiologists and CRNAs
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Cardiologists
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Chiropractors
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Clinical Psychologists
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Dentists
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Dietitians and Nutrition Professionals
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Emergency Medicine Clinicians
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Nurse Practitioners
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Occupational and Physical Therapists
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Ophthalmologists
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Optometrists
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Orthopedists
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Pathologists
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Physician Assistants
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Podiatrists
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Radiologists
- 2021 Measures and Activities for Speech Language Pathologists and Audiologists