On November 1, CMS released the final rule for performance year 2020 of the QPP. The rule maintains many policies from PY 2019, while streamlining requirements for the MIPS & APM tracks.
What You Need to Know: Key Policies for PY 2020
- Maintains category weights for Cost (15 percent) and Quality (45 percent)
- Increases the performance threshold from 30 points to 45 points
- Increases the data completeness threshold to 70 percent
- Increases participation for Improvement Activities to include 50 percent of ECs in the practice
- Revises the specifications for the Total Per Capita Cost & Medicare Spending Per Beneficiary Clinician measures
- Updates requirements for Qualified Clinical Data Registry measures & the services provided by third-party intermediaries (beginning PY 2021)
Updates to MVPs
CMS is also finalizing the participation framework for the MIPS Value Pathways. Beginning in PY 2021, MVPs will be implemented gradually with the goal to move ECs toward speciality measures more relevant to their practice.
Information and Support
More information about the 2020 final rule is available in the following CMS resources:
- Press Release: Announcement from CMS
- Executive Summary: High-level overview of 2020 policies
- Fact Sheet: Overview with comparisons to PY 2019
- FAQs: Addresses frequently asked questions
- MVPs Video: Overview of MVP participation framework
- Webinar: Hosted by CMS on November 19, 2019 at 1:00 p.m., CT
- Call 1-866-288-8292 (consider contacting during non-peak hours before 9 a.m. & after 1 p.m., CST)
This material was prepared by Telligen QPP-SURS Resource Center, the Quality Payment Program for Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota, under contract with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), an agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The contents presented do not necessarily reflect CMS policy. HHSM-500-2017-00012C.